Thursday, August 23, 2012

Magical Journey, What to pack

Now that you have figured out when to go, where to stay, where to eat, and have researched the parks (or, in this blog's case, Magic Kingdom), you are finally ready to pack!

I won't go into what to pack in your suitcase.  We're all grown ups here and know how to pack for ourselves and our kids.

Just....please...lay fashion aside for a week and wear your tennis shoes.  Its ALOT of walking.

Let me tell you what to bring into the park if you have small kids.

My children are 6 and 5.  If you have younger kids, obviously, stick in some formula, diapers, wipes, baby food...whatever.

But, this is what Yankee Peach is packing in the backpack that will go into the parks with us every day...






Let me explain in list form (my favorite):

1.  Large plastic bag

You will need this in case of an accident.

2.  Extra pair of undies, socks and shorts for each child.

My poor 4 year old daughter went an entire week without messing up.  Then, at 11:55pm, with 5 minutes left until closing, she peed RIGHT before getting on the carousel.  Just all over the place.  My husband panicked, but I simply pulled her into a bathroom, changed her into the clothes I had, shoved the nasty things in the plastic bag, and we still had time to squeak in a carousel ride.

3.  Ponchos!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE!!!  Remember...Florida...sub-tropical.  I bought 11 of these for .89 each at Walmart because they rip easy.  But its better than be gouged in the park for the Disney Ponchos in the middle of a 10 minute downpour.  I bring 5 into the park, per my sister's advice.  One for each family member AND one for your stroller or that sopping went bench that you try to sit on later in the day.

4.  Sunscreen

Sunburn and the Happiest Place on Earth do not go together.

5.  Band-aids and Wipes

My daughter bit the dust one year and was bleeding profusely.  Being lame, I had nothing to clean it with and had not brought band-aids.  Other moms had to run to my rescue.  Never again!

6.  Snacks

True, we get snacks with our dining plan, but you just never know when your kids will get cranky or you feel your blood sugar taking a dive.  We always do the individual trail mix packets and Goldfish.  I used to do little chocolate chip cookies, but they melted.

7.  Camera and Phones

Not pictured, but self-explanatory

That's it!  Maybe bring your touring plans and some swimsuits if you want the kids to be able to splash around in some of the water fountains that they have in Magic Kindom and Epcot.  We purchase water in the park.  Water bottles are heavy to lug around and, to be honest, the water in Disney is NASTY.  It tastes like lukewarm swamp water.  So we do splurge on buying water bottles in the park.

My brain always gets frazzled trying to pack our suitcases for our trip AND pack the stuff I'll want in the park.  I have to re-remember where I shoved it all at 7am of our first day in the park.  I always forget something.

THIS year, I've already packed all my stuff!




I'll just stick it in my suitcase, then pull it out when its time to pack for Magic Kingdom.  I'm so smart.

If any of you seasoned Disney Veterans have other packing tips, let me know!




2 comments:

  1. It'll be a few years before we get there but I'm bookmarking (or pinning!) these posts. Great info!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like it! We loooooooooooooove Disney and I'd love to help you even in a couple years if you get overwhelmed:)

    ReplyDelete