Monday, July 9, 2012

Martyr

If you are reading this, you are part of a greater story.  A story of struggle, rebirth, redemption, and love. 

You are witness to a miracle.   As the dawn breaks over the horizon, so begins the next chapter of my life. 

Soak it in.  Memorize these words.  Repeat them to your children and your children's children.

Yankee Peach.  Was written.  At 6:22AM.

I am a 7:30am girl.  My kids play pleasantly in their room until I arise like Cinderella to great the day, sing a song, and give a cold but melodic shiver as birds pour water on my head and fix my hair.


But today marks the death of 7:30 Girl and the birth of 5:30 Martyr for the Cause.

Why?  WHY am I doing this?

Because I am awesome.  Also because I am the worst.

My husband started a job in November...NO..VEM...BURRRRRR...that requires him to leave the house at 6am for work.  I cheerfully went on with life, watching TV and playing Words With Friends until 11:30pm and beyond. 

At some point, my husband wondered if I couldn't try to get on his schedule.  He is a night owl and my hard-partying lifestyle was much too tempting for him.

I tried.  For one day.  Then I decided to be mad at him for trying to control my sleep patterns.

Fast forward to June.  I announce to my husband that he is The Worst, that his job is The Worst, etc. He came home exhausted, was grumpy, and totally unhelpful.  He, not actually being The Worst, promised to make some changes.

Then, in a later conversation where I told him I was concerned for his health because he was exhausted all the time...a slow realization dawned on me.  Oh.  He never sleeps. 

I came up with a brand new amazing decision.  "I know!", I said, "Why don't I try to get on  your schedule?"

The look on the husband's face.  It was priceless.  A mix of fear and uncertainty.  He was the only person in the room who remembered the huffy indignance I had shown when HE mentioned me changing my sleeping habits.  "Uh..I...um...really don't want to be responsible for forcing you to do that."  Was his very carefully chosen reply.

The Worst baton was officially passed to me.  Hm.  So, when he asks me to do things I am indignant.  If they are my own idea, I'm totally okay with it.  Interesting.  But that will be another post...that I will only write if I want to, not if my husband has the audacity to request it.

So.  Here I am.  5:30 Girl.  Up until the last minute last night my husband was trying to convince me this was a bad idea. 

Nobody loves living with a Martyr.

But, I have not been reading my Bible since the kids got out of school.  I've also been laying around halfway between sleep and "doing things" until 10 am every day.

Also, my husband promised me that, if I made it two weeks, he would buy me a Krupp.

So, with a Krupp only 13 days away and my marriage, prayer life, and devotional life enriched as a secondary bonus, I am now officially a Spiritual Bastion of Humility, Servitude and Awesomeness.

My brain hurts.  My body is tired.  My coffee pot dribbles coffee on my counter every time I use it.  My husband is in fear of what a 5:30 AM Girl will look/act like at 6PM tonight. 

But it'll be worth it.  Oh, look at that.  The sun has come up.  That Classical piece that they always play at the beginning of cartoons when it is morning outside is playing in my head. 

I will rock this Martyr status today, oh yes I will.


1 comment:

  1. The dramatic intro to this post has me cracking up, but oh sometimes it feels like the truth. I've been trying to wake up earlier for some me time myself and some days I succeed and others I find myself still in bed. Our little guy is quite the alarm but I need a few minutes before he wakes up!

    ReplyDelete