Friday, December 30, 2011

I'll Never Be Like That



I was on Facebook...my cyber home away from home...a while back, doing my part for humanity by being "fully aware" of all new status updates (its an important job!), and came across a post that gave me pause.

It was by a lovely lady that is much younger than I who has done actual great things for humanity.  She had been in a Starbucks and said something to the effect of, "I am sitting behind a bunch of moms in their track suits and perfect ponytails all sipping lattes...I will never be like that."  All of her friends rushed to agree.

Yes!  Such small minded individuals these track suited women!

Worthy of our contempt...don't they realize that there is a world out there for the taking?  A day to be seizing??

Well, now lets just stop and think.  In the form of a list.  Because that's how I think.

1.  Of course, this lovely young thing herself was in a Starbucks sipping a latte or what have you sooooo....just curious...you know...like, how her latte sipping was morally superior...but, that's just me.  I'm Judgy McJudgerson at all times, I fully admit.

2.  We have ALL said "I will never be like that" when looking at The Moms at the mall or The Moms on our street or The Moms in our house.  Give it time, Little Lovely Young Thing...because time will indeed have the last laugh.  Trust me.

3. Let's discuss the "bunch" of moms.  Consider, Lil Lovely Young Thing, that moms spend all day with babies and toddlers with no one to talk to.  This "bunch" need each other.  Desperately.  Just to stay sane.  Yes, you are right.  They are not out negotiating peace in the Middle East or feeding the starving children in Africa.  But once, they were LLY Things too.  And they did those things, perhaps.  They were teachers, maybe.  Or even missionaries.  Or people with normal business jobs but people of influence nonetheless.  Or they were world travelers, authors, nurses, doctors, honestly...pick an important job...that "bunch" could've been one of those.  But, when its time to do the right and natural thing and have babies, they made the supreme sacrifice and gave it all up.  To be The Great Influencer of the home.

4.  On to those darned track suits that hold your complete disdain.  These Influencers  need to bend over a thousand times a day.  They are also still trying to lose that baby weight.  You WILL BE THERE someday, Little Lovely Young Thing!  And, that perfect ponytail...i'm not sure how having an imperfect one might feed a child in the slums for a day...but either way, its her "going out" ponytail.  She gets kudos for having it look that good!  Its a hard life, being a Mom.  Young Things, please show respect.  Your ponytail may NEVER reach that awesome perfection when you have 3 kids underfoot so pipe down about it.

5.  I know, I get it.  Someone could see me in Starbucks and think the same thing.  But, did you know that I love classic literature?  That I have set foot, at least, in ever State other than Alaska, in my lifetime...most of it touring with a drama team all over the country?  I'm proud of that.  Did you know that I am a compassionate person who, while my world is very small right now, tries daily to find ways to make it a better place and show the love of Jesus to those around me?  That Mom you see...maybe she just lost her father.  Maybe she's comforting a friend who is unsure about a big move coming up.  Maybe she is a human being who feels the loss of that amazing World-Saving life that she may never get back, but wouldn't trade those pudgy peanut butter-covered faces for anything. 

6.  You WILL be like that someday.  That Little Lovely Young Thing is herself getting closer and closer every day to being in that "bunch of moms".  But, you know what Young Things?  I'm proud to be that Mom.   I'm proud of my little brood.  And, so what if I need a little mindless talk with my friends and some much-needed caffeine.  There is still alot of time to Save the World.  Not only for me, but for my children.  But they will be better at it than I.  Because I am in a Track-suited, Highly-Caffeinated, Club of Great Influencers.  And, when it is your turn, all will be forgiven.  In fact, we've saved you a seat Little Lovely Young Thing.  Because, trust us, you will need all the help you can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment