Friday, September 16, 2011

Just Trying to Help

Here's the thing.  I'm not very helpful.  I'm great at alot of things.  But I'm never the girl with the idea.  I wanted to do a blog, but I don't garden, I am averagely good at staying within a grocery budget, I am not a DIY person...like...at...all,  I'm super not into gripping self-revelations and transformations...like, "follow me as I spend the next 100 days trying to not eat pizza and the lessons I learn along the way".  I like my weaknesses and vices too much for that.


But, then, I realized something.  100% of blogs by stay home moms (Hi, I'm a stay at home mom) are helpful, but they only represent, say, 50% of the population.

This is a blog for the rest of us.  AND a blog where helpful people can go, when they totally forgot to repurpose their toothpaste tubes, to feel better about themselves.


But here's what's really wrong with me.  I find helpfulness irritating.  When I want to complain about how messy my desk is, sweet people will suggest their methods for labeling and filing.  I stare, glassy-eyed, and think about Disney World until they are done.  If I casually mention that my daughter can't keep her shoes in one place, cherished loved ones will give me all the tips from Family Fun on turning shoe-finding-time into a song or a chart or a game.  I stare, glassy-eyed, and think about making yelling at my friends to stop talking into a song or a chart or a game.

A Helpful Family running to the mailbox for the next Family Fun issue
Mean, right?

My saving grace is that, in being honest with how bad I am at stuff and being gracious enough to not offer advice to people on how to do stuff better, I make the world a better place.  I make my friends and loved ones take a look at their organized desks and charts and songs and realize, "Hey, you know what?  I'm not so bad." 

And so, to The Helpful reading this blog, I say, "You're Welcome" and "You are in for a real treat if you stick with me" and "Can I borrow 5 dollars because my purse is a mess and there is gum stuck to my credit card."















No comments:

Post a Comment