Friday, September 30, 2011

Good Kind of Hate

So, a friend of mine leads a seriously crazy awesome band at his church.  Upon request, he sent me a couple recordings from their sets.  I sat in front of my computer and was just stunned by what I heard.  Beautiful, folksy, bluesy, kind of Mumford and Sons-y style music.  I'd never heard that style in a praise band before.  Then, his female vocalist started singing.

I. Hate. Her.


I'm a singer, too, you see.  I also sing in a seriously crazy awesome band.  However, I cannot do what that girl did.  She was amazing.  So, natch, I hate her. 

You see, in "Girl World", hate is okay.  A little bit of hate is okay.  It's a compliment! I sort of hate most women in my life.

I kind of hate my best friend cousin (there has to be another name for that...BFC?) because she is an incredible interior designer and decorator.  While I spent all of 15 minutes ordering my matchy matchy Potter Barn crib bedding for my daughter, my BFC was all, "Well, I didn't see anything I liked so I ordered this fabulous bolt of fabric from France and I'll see what I can do with it."  Admit it, you hate her, too.

I sorta hate my friend, Angi, for being gorgeous and for being a former model/dancer. I think this one speaks for itself.

Wait.  You are judging me aren't you?  Admit it.  You think there is no room for hate in this world.  You think I'm jealous, don't you?  NOOOOO, no no no no...no....for real...no....What? No!...its a girl thing, you wouldn't get it, okay just a little jealous.

BUT!  If someone were to say, "Sara, I hate you for being so fabulously beautiful" or "Oh my gosh, Sara, you are SO good at sewing French fabric, I hate you so much!"  I would be totally complimented!

Seeing as how I am not fabulously beautiful except to my parents and my husband and can only be accused of having a rocking ability to sing Disney Princess Songs, I would LOVE to be hated!!!  Just a little. 

Now, lets not carry this to an extreme.  Angi is fabulously beautiful, but she's a person and that person gets all my love and respect.   You'd never want a tiny second of hate to keep you from getting to know a polished, accomplished, fascinating individual.

And don't hate me for being a hater, please.   Women hate other women for being amazingly talented, gorgeous, witty, and confident.  Its not like you see "Confidence Awareness" posters or "It Gets Better" campaigns for hot chicks.  They can handle a little hate.  And they hate you a little back for how awesome you are...just for a split second...before complimenting that gorgeous sweater that goes with your green eyes that they so wish they had.

Do guys have something similar in "Guy World"?  I don' t know.  But in "Girl World", its okay to hate a little as long as its the good kind.





1 comment: