Friday, November 4, 2011

Things I Love, Part 4

I am not a "computer girl".  I don't "keep up with the latest technology".   I may "need a coach every time I use a Keurig".  I "say words like Wireless but in my head its a magical purple tube that sends words and pictures to the Happy Rectangle, which my husband calls the Computer Screen".

Howevs, there is one new technical computer thing that I LOVE.  Its Apple TV!



When my husband first thought about getting Apple TV, I was shocked when he came back from the Apple Store with this little guy.  I thought it was a TV made by Apple.  But this thing is awesome!!

For $99, this little black box allows us to click on our TV and have it run like an entertainment hub.  Here is the main interface...


Under Movies, you can purchase almost anything you can think of for $2.99 or $3.99 for HD.  No running out to the non-existent Blockbuster or to those horrid Box things that have 1 good movie and 15 Jennifer Aniston flicks.  (Oh snap, that's right.  I went there.)  TV shows are similar.

Under Music, Podcast, and Photos, you can stream anything from your computer.  And its seamless!  You just click on "Music" and there it all is.  Everything is stored on iCloud, which is like this big invisible storage space in the sky that hovers over your house and lets you pick up your iPad or iPhone, turn on your TV or grab your laptop and instantly have the exact same entertainment happening.  And there is NO downloading or uploading or whatever those words are.  Apple TV instantly stores your last 1000 photos from your computer and absolutely all your music from iTunes. 

The Internet tab is my FAVORITE!!!  You can pull up YouTube and Flickr, but the most important thing to us is Netflix...



We have cancelled our cable, saving us TONS of money, and have instead switched to Netflix's $7.99/month streaming plan.  There is plenty on there for our kids to watch.

The other day, I told them to eat their spinach so they could be strong like Popeye.  They looked at me like I had spinach coming out my ears.  After dinner, we turned on Apple TV, went to Netflix, clicked on "Popeye" and my kids got to watch a show that I watched, my parents watched, and my grandparents watched.  They also have all the cool stuff...which in our house means Phineas and Ferb.  Plus tons of movies and TV series.  I recently watched all 4 seasons of Mad Men when I was sick.

The other nice thing about Apple TV is that you can purchase other features.  Its like purchasing a gigantic Ap for your TV instead of your iPhone.  For instance, we purchased MLB TV so that I could watch the Detroit Tigers totally dominate until half way through the post season.

But the BEST part is this:  You forget that its a computer.  This is important to a non-computer girl.  After a while, its just TV.

I'm a little nervous that I am not getting this right.  I should've called in my Marital Tech Support to write this for me.  But maybe you need a commoner's point of view, and not someone who will use big technical words like "Gigs" or "Remote".   If you have any questions, though, write to Yankee Peach.  I will relay your questions to my MTS.

And congratulations.  You now have one more reason to visit the Apple Store.  







No comments:

Post a Comment