Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Other Side

A couple days ago, I had had enough.

I was tired of the same ole Sara.  The Sara who followed the rules, towed the line, and never thought outside the box.  The Sara who let The Man rule her life, and other similar cliches that mean I was boring and probably a Republican according to Hollywood.

The Sara who parted her hair to the left.

But, a new day was dawning on the horizon and I needed a change to match my new journey....the journey to my daughter's elementary school to be the class Mystery Reader.

So, in a moment of total inspiration, I swished my flat, every day, line-towing hair over to the right side.

WOW!!!!

I was fabulously beautiful!  My hair looked like a brunette Jessica Rabbit!

As I strolled from the school parking lot to the building, I could feel the power of the Right Part.  Its like I could do anything!  Maybe I could contact a modeling agency.  Maybe I could do a documentary called "Right Part Like Me" and see how the other half lives...probably WAY better than those limited-minded Left Parters.

And there was music.  Not an angel choir from heaven (which totally did happen the first time I went to my hairstylist, Natalie), but like a funky tune that went something like this: 

Who's that girl?  Walking down the street!
She looks so fine, wow she can't be beat!
Her brunette hair with a groovy sexy part
Her name is Sara and now she owns my heart!
Its Sara!

But then, alas, I make the fatal blunder!  (Cue record player needle scratching)  The music stops.

I realize that, while listening to my new song in my head, I have tossed my hair back.  BUT I've tossed it back like a LEFT PARTER!!!!!  I can sense a big chunk of hair has moved back to the dark side. 

I'm self-conscious, insecure...wondering why everyone is looking at me.  Why is Ms. Karen the receptionist pointing and laughing????

I catch my reflection in a window, scoop the hair back into place, and deftly glance around to see if anyone noticed.  No...not really...

"Who's that girl?  Walking down the street!"

Yes!  Sara got her groove back!





No comments:

Post a Comment