Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Trending

Goodness gracious, I hate trends.

I was the girl who, in 5th grade, LOVED horses...until I realized that all 12 year olds loved horses, so I decided to hate them.

In 6th grade everyone loved New Kids On the Block.  I secretly had a crush on Jordan Knight...is that his name?  But then all the girls started sporting these monstrosities on their acid wash jean jackets:


I decided they did not have The Right Stuff.  (But, again, secretly, in my head Joey was all, "Please don't gooo giiiiiiirrrrrrrl!!!!")

Some trends I want to like.  Like the flouncy dresses that all the young pretty things are wearing:




Oh!  If only flounce was in style in 2001 when I was living in DC, unmarried, no kids, and a size 2 on my fat days!  Now, when I try those things on, I kind of look like this woman:

Sigh...if only I hadn't gained 10 pounds because I love eating an entire pan of brownies by myself my rib cage hadn't expanded due to having two children! 

I also can't help but admit that some trends stick.  For instance, my entire generation says "like" and "cool".  Can't be helped.  Someday, our Supreme Court Justices will say, "I know what you are trying to do here, but, like, I totally overrule you."  And the other Supreme Court Justice will shake her head and go, "Let the record show the defendant muttered 'not cool' under his breath!"

My new least favorite trend, though, is the word "ReThink".  EVERYTHING is being rethought, have you noticed???  We are to rethink fried chicken, how we mail our letters, church ministry, it never ends!  Its like how, in 2000, everything was Xtreme!  Or Xllent!!!  or X-rayed!!  That last one might actually be a thing, sorry. 

Can't we see that, in 2020, we will look back and go "Oh, yeah, remember when everything was "rethink"???  We were such dorks!  I wish we could go back and 'Unlogic' that!"  (Trend forecast!!)


No comments:

Post a Comment